Off Road Air Compressor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Road Air Compressor?

Is there a low cost / high value portable air compressor that many of you use?

I'm hoping that there is "known only to off roaders" high volume air pump that will inflate four tires back to highway pressures quickly.

I've seen the ARB and Viair pumps, but find them a bit expensive for occasional use

JAFOG

A few of us run this 12V model from Harbor Freight. With the occasional coupon you can pick it up for a little over $50. It gets hot as hell, but has yet to fail me. It has a built in protection that shuts it down if it gets too hot and also has its own fuse. While I'm just using the alligator clips with it now, my ultimate plan is to run two at the same time and pipe them into a tank.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12volt-...sor-69285.html
    2004 Grand Cherokee (WJ), Laredo 4.0
    4.5" Frankenstein Short Arm lift, Rusty ADJ CA's, trussed Waggy 44 Front & 44HD Rear; 315/70:17 Patagonia M/T mounted on Micky Thompson Classic Lock II 17x9

Comment

I found /Heavy-Duty-Portable-Car-Tyre-Auto-Tire-Inflator-Pump-Air-Compressor-12V-150PSI-/282053785525 on e bay for around 25 bucks. It is small but will air up 3 sets of tires w/o shutting off; Yes it was hot but still pumping. All metal construction also. Will see how long it lasts.
      My CJ does not leak, it marks territory
      If you want to be somebody you buy a new pickup
      If you know who you are you drive an old Jeep

Comment

• Oscar03TJ
        Oscar03TJ commented
        Editing a comment
        Will contest to the operation of his compressor. It worked well after airing up 3 jeeps and my cheap free compressor failed and let the smoke out of the pump it still aired up 2 more tires.

Originally posted by JAFOG View Post
      Is there a low cost / high value portable air compressor that many of you use?

I'm hoping that there is "known only to off roaders" high volume air pump that will inflate four tires back to highway pressures quickly.

I've seen the ARB and Viair pumps, but find them a bit expensive for occasional use

JAFOG
      Those two don't usually go together, low cost/high value. You can buy cheap ones but they usually won't last. Personally I prefer to save my money and buy quality goods so I only have to buy one.

The only time that might not apply is if something is so cheap and last "long enough" that I can buy 6 or 7 before hitting the cost of what the really good one cost. Over a period of years of course...

I am pretty sure the one WJ Guy was using has already burned up once. Correct me if I'm wrong Ray.

A middle of the road one would probably be one like smittybuilt sells.
      The ANIMAL Build Thread

2012 JKUR 6 spd Manual; 5.13 gears; 4:1, CRUSH

Pro Comp 17x9 wheels, 37" NITTO Trail Grapplers, EVO Enforcer 4" Lift, 2.5 Spec. King Shocks/Compression Adjusters, 5.13 Gears, RR Aluminum Billet Hood Latches, Truck-Lite LED Headlights, Rigid Dually LEDs, Cobra 75 CB, Wild Boar Roof Rack, Tom Woods 1310 Front Drive shaft

Comment

• WJ_Guy
        WJ_Guy commented
        Editing a comment
        Has not burned up. Thermal protection shut it down until it cooled off.

I run this for my lockers but it takes forever to air up a 37'

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-On-Board...2-P3572C9.aspx

This is the one I carry to air up my tires so I do not burn up my arb airing up tires and incase I need a back up for my lockers.

http://www.viaircorp.com/450P-rv-auto.html
      1997 TJ. Mostly Stock with a couple bolt on's!

"My jeep practically drives its self"
      "Just Bump It"

Comment

had a slime branded one that honestly kicked ass. Took 8 33s to full pressure with no problem. Loaned it to a friend and haven't seen it since. was 50'ish at wally world. came with a kit and small case to keep it on. spare valves, plugs and a few other things.
        98 XJ 4.5" lift on 33s. bumper w/ 10K winch, lights
        locked front and rear
        cowl intake, CB and a lot of skinny pedal

Comment

Side note: I'm working on this setup for the Grand Cherokee currently.
          Last edited by WJ_Guy; 01-03-2017, 09:34 PM.
          4.5" Frankenstein Short Arm lift, Rusty ADJ CA's, trussed Waggy 44 Front & 44HD Rear; 315/70:17 Patagonia M/T mounted on Micky Thompson Classic Lock II 17x9

Comment

Ray, 2 compressors. is that so I can pull up and use the other one? gonna run a tank?

seen a few guys convert A/C compressors to OBA compressors. but they aren't cheap either.

seriously thought about snagging the 5 lb bottle from my kegerator and strapping it down in the back. 800 lbs of pressure should fill as many low tires as you can find.
            98 XJ 4.5" lift on 33s. bumper w/ 10K winch, lights
            locked front and rear
            cowl intake, CB and a lot of skinny pedal

Comment

denverd1 I'll be running them into a 3 gallon tank that will be in my spare tire well.

I've looked in the York compressor mod and it's legit. Also look into modding an alternator into a belt driven welder.

Comment

Originally posted by denverd1 View Post

seriously thought about snagging the 5 lb bottle from my kegerator and strapping it down in the back. 800 lbs of pressure should fill as many low tires as you can find.
                That is essentially what a power tank is. I actually used that setup the first time I went out and it worked great. Only problem with those tanks is they are hard to tie down. I felt like I had a bomb in waiting in the Jeep the whole time. It did fill fast though!
                The ANIMAL Build Thread

Pro Comp 17x9 wheels, 37" NITTO Trail Grapplers, EVO Enforcer 4" Lift, 2.5 Spec. King Shocks/Compression Adjusters, 5.13 Gears, RR Aluminum Billet Hood Latches, Truck-Lite LED Headlights, Rigid Dually LEDs, Cobra 75 CB, Wild Boar Roof Rack, Tom Woods 1310 Front Drive shaft

Comment

Here's the final product guys if you are interested.
                  http://imgur.com/a/fU9xC
                  Last edited by WJ_Guy; 02-22-2017, 06:44 PM.

Comment

WJ_Guy this is an awesome setup. Wish us TJ guys had room for this.
                    1997 TJ. Mostly Stock with a couple bolt on's!

"My jeep practically drives its self"
                    "Just Bump It"

Comment

I look forward to seeing that in action Ray!
                      The ANIMAL Build Thread

Comment

That's why I like to wheel with Ray so much. He's totally equipped and always well prepared.
                        '03 TJ

Comment

Captain And I thought it was becasuse I was so good looking..........sigh.......

Comment

Working...
                          X