Weird Noise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Noise

Hey guys and gals...I’ve got a weird creaking noise on the front right side of my baby.

Its like a rickety old box spring type noise, even on smooth pavement. Just started happening this weekend. Haven’t been off road or crawling recently enough that it could be damage from.

Any ideas!?!?!?
    2012 Unlimited Sport, front & rear Dana 44s with lockers. 3” synergy lift w/rock krawler mid arms and trac bars. Rancho 9000 shocks 35” KM2s on 18” vetch warrior rims. Floor is bed lined. 8,000 lb winch. 52” led light bar. (all customizations courtesy of my ex)

My daily driver is a Prius (don’t laugh, I commute to Dallas)

Turn the radio up? That's what I normally do.

Comment

Ha Ha that ain’t no lie I do that too! I’m just not sure if it’s something I should be concerned about. I sure don’t want to be driving Jaxon around and have a wheel go flying off!
      2012 Unlimited Sport, front & rear Dana 44s with lockers. 3” synergy lift w/rock krawler mid arms and trac bars. Rancho 9000 shocks 35” KM2s on 18” vetch warrior rims. Floor is bed lined. 8,000 lb winch. 52” led light bar. (all customizations courtesy of my ex)

Comment

Aside from making sure everything is torqued to spec in the front end, I would start checking for worn bushings, springs, tie rod ends, etc.

I'm starting to get a few squeaks that I suspect are worn control arm bushings.
        2004 Wrangler TJ - "Zom-Bee"

Comment

Sounds like a ball joint. Ball joints will creak when turning or cycling the suspension if they're worn.
          • '88 Cherokee Base - I don't actually drive it. It just sits in the driveway while I throw parts at it.
          • '90 Cherokee Laredo - Old and busted, but it'll get the job done!
          • '97 Cherokee Country - My wife wanted something "pretty".
          • '98 Cherokee Limited - My wife's old & busted parts rig.

Comment

Ball joints sounds like a good place to start. U joints and suspension pivot points
            1997 TJ. Mostly Stock with a couple bolt on's!

"My jeep practically drives its self"
            "Just Bump It"

Comment

Update: So it is a worn ball joint I found a friendly Athens Jeeper who offered to come over and take a look at it with me. Changing it out this weekend. Thanks y’all and it’s one of the things I love about Jeep Peeps they’re helpful and friendly!

Comment

Do you need a press?

Comment

J&A I don’t think so, my new Jeep friend seems to have everything necessary to work on it in his shop. Thanks for asking I appreciate it!

Comment

Great news! A lot of people hate swapping ball joints, but they're not all that bad with the right tools.
                    • '88 Cherokee Base - I don't actually drive it. It just sits in the driveway while I throw parts at it.

Comment

Thanks to the help of a new Jeep friend Cricket 🦗 is back on the trails. Smooth process of workin’ on my baby. Even my son was allowed to be a mechanic in training. Be Still my ❤️ I think I’m in love (ha ha) Much fun was had all around heck I even provided the beer and steaks!

Comment

Fantastic! Think you learned enough to feel comfortable doing it yourself next time?

I know I've been intimidated at times when I start working on something new. It always helps to have an experienced hand the first time. Once I get through that initial learning curve, I feel pretty good about digging into the same project again later.

Comment

sjlplat definitly believe I could help more next time!

Comment

Working...
                          X