Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trusted Products and Brands (and ones to avoid)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trusted Products and Brands (and ones to avoid)

Alright, I would like you all to list your favorite and most trusted brands OR products and brands to avoid for all things Jeep related. Only give the products and their brand if you have first hand experience with it - good or bad (i.e. if you or a close friend own the product and you have seen it in action). Feel free to list any products and the brand from tires, gears, seat covers and anything in between.
    2017 Wrangler JKU Big Bear
    Armor: Smittybilt SRC Gen2 Front Bumper, Barricade Rock Sliders
    Winch: Warn ZEON Platinum 10-S Winch with Spydura Synthetic Rope
    Lift: 2.5" Pro-Comp Lift w/ Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP shocks
    Lighting: Rough Country 3" Wide Angle OSRAM LED Lights, Rough Country 12-inch Cree LED Light Bar (Dual Row | Black Series w/ DRL)
    CB Radio: Cobra 75 WX ST and Firestik FireFly antenna

I love my Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP shocks. I highly recommend them.
    Lighting: Rough Country 3" Wide Angle OSRAM LED Lights, Rough Country 12-inch Cree LED Light Bar (Dual Row | Black Series w/ DRL)

Comment

I love my Warn ZEON Platinum 10-S Winch with Spydura Synthetic Rope. I highly recommend anything Warn.

Comment

Talk about opening a can of worms.
        To many aftermarket parts and opinions on what works and what does not. All I can say is you get what you pay for. I suggest American made from a quality fabrication company.
        1997 TJ. Mostly Stock with a couple bolt on's!

"My jeep practically drives its self"
        "Just Bump It"

Comment

• Gotcha-Again-LOL
          Gotcha-Again-LOL commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahah yes!

• Grauler
          Grauler commented
          Editing a comment
          And this is exactly why I started the thread. There are so many manufactures out there. Some are mainstream (e.g. Rough Country, etc.) and some are known only by those who have been doing this a long time (e.g. Off Road Evolution, etc.). I can get Jeep parts at any ole 4 Wheel Drive "Walmart" online, but that is not always the best solution - especially when you're DIYing. I have never had any problem dropping coin on more expensive parts as long as they are truly worth the extra dough and not just because it's a rare "boutique" part.

This thread is meant to leverage the knowledge base that the ETXJC offers. If I was able to shoot the bull with you guys for a few hours during the week then this thread might be useless, but that's not reality. I hope I am not the only one who will benefit from y'all's experience and advice. Keep it coming...

I echo what Zac said...get what you pay for...tires, shocks, ring and pinions, air compressors etc...just to answer the OPs question...Ironman Fab, BDS springs are awesome their bushings are terrible, Yukon Gear, Bilstein, Rancho, BFG Goodyear, Alcan Spring, Off Road Design, surprisingly Rusty’s in builder parts (but I have heard horror stories), West Texas Off Road, Tom Woods Driveshafts, Stazworks, Trail Creeper Beadlocks...American American American...warranties are also worth their weight if you itemize and file all your receipts etc...another great thing is to tap into community and do your own research on specific parts when considering...lots of info out their just take some time to sift through and figure out what’s best for you some to AVOID...AGR steering terrible experience from 15 years ago and actually again this year don’t fall for it hahahha...skyjacker shocks have been a royal pain on occasion...

Comment

• ZacT
          ZacT commented
          Editing a comment
          This is where the debates start. I hated my bilstein shocks. To soft for a triple rate rock krawler springs. Everything has to work together. Once you have installed a set of Fox of Kings you will throw rocks at a bilstein shock.

• ZacT
          ZacT commented
          Editing a comment
          As for AGR same experience. My ram came apart cause a near crash experience. PSC will forever be my go to steering parts

• Gotcha-Again-LOL
          Gotcha-Again-LOL commented
          Editing a comment
          Would agree...the Bilstein I’ve loved were custom shop remote reservoirs...the 5100s were perfect with a stock TJ rubi spring...with firmer or aftermarket spring rates and larger tires though I could easily see the off the shelf ones being too soft because they were close to being too supple on the TJ with stock springs...

After building several jeeps and install of different brand suspension kits. I prefer using parts and piece and doing a DIY kit. You can utilize the best of all your experiences to build exactly what you want with no compromise.
        1997 TJ. Mostly Stock with a couple bolt on's!

"My jeep practically drives its self"
        "Just Bump It"

Comment

I am all about buying American made when you can even though it may cost more. I like Warn winches and that is what I use. However, you have to shop within brands as well because even some Warn winches are not made in USA. I also like to buy and use individual parts based on their performance and not depend on one particular brand for everything. It seems that every brand has hits and misses on different items.
          2001 TJ 4.0, 32Rh auto tranny, Dana 44 Trac-Lok 3.73 rear, Dana 30 Detroit Truetrac 3.73 front, Rancho adjustable lower control arms, 2 inch lift, BFG mud terrain 31/10.50/15 tires

Comment

There's only one brand I swear by: BFG tires. I've used them on every vehicle I ever owned, and never had one problem. I also love Pioneer audio equipment, but I've had a few failures over the years.

I've had good experiences and seen good service from a few others, but I've also seen failures and heard complaints about them. I've seen both BDS and Rubicon Express replace broken and bent springs, no questions asked. My PRP seats were great -- comfortable and durable in a trail rig that was always open to the elements.
            - 1988 XJ Base - I don't actually drive it. It just sits in the driveway while I throw parts at it.

- 1990 XJ Laredo - Old and busted, but it'll get the job done!

- 1996 XJ Sport - It's red. What else can I say?

- 1997 XJ Country - My wife wanted something "pretty".

- 1998 XJ Limited - Cheap and leathery.

Comment

Originally posted by sjlplat View Post
              There's only one brand I swear by: BFG tires. I've used them on every vehicle I ever owned, and never had one problem. I also love Pioneer audio equipment, but I've had a few failures over the years.
              +2 on BFG tires. I have had great experience with my BFG KO2's in all weather and driving conditions. With rotating all of my tires during every oil change, including the spare, the wear seems to be excellent so far. Unless something changes, I am planning on going with BFG KM3's next. If I don't like them, then I will go back to the KO2's.

Comment

I will gladly add Cobra CB Radios and Firestik antennas to the trusted brand list.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Grauler
                  Grauler commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I guess it doesn't do much good to just say that "I like something" or "I hate something" without being able to offer some experience with the brand or product. I have installed the Cobra CB radio and the Firestik antenna, but I have not personally used them yet. I am basing my "like" on the fact that I know of numerous other Jeepers running this setup (or at least the same brand) and they themselves are very happy - which obviously influenced my decision to buy these two products.

Both Warn and Bilstein are good brands. Pricey but dependable.

Comment

• Grauler
                  Grauler commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I had the opportunity to use my Warn winch twice during the Hidden Falls trip. Once to pull my son off of a ledge that he got high centered on and once to pull this guy out of some really deep mud. Pulling the guy out of the mud was crazy since I was almost to the end of my 100' rope, he was almost 90 degrees to me, and he was sunk to his chassis. For a minute there I thought it wasn't going to happen, but then he broke loose and came on out. I was *very* happy with how the winch performed! Yes, pricey, but worth while purchase!

I do not have any experience with anything by Rough Country (RC) other than their LED lights. I purchased a pair Rough Country 3" Wide Angle OSRAM LED Lights and a Rough Country 12-inch Cree LED Light Bar (Dual Row | Black Series w/ Cool White DRL). Man, I am impressed!

The lights themselves are extremely well made. They both have an IP67 Waterproof rating and the LEDs are bright just as advertised. They came with covers as well for when you're not using them. The covers protect from debris and help reduce wind noise. What impressed me most about the lights is the wiring harness that came with them. *Very* well made and thought out. They each have inline blade fuses (which I cut and wired to a fuse block - bye-bye warranty) and the wires are all shrouded. Each came with a switch already pre-wired. I used my own switch for the pod lights, but I used the RC switch for the bar light since it was 3-way (off/DRL/on). I purchased a Rugged Ridge Black A-Pillar Switch Pod w/ 5 Rocker Switches - Left Hand Drive to mount the switches. Very clean - Very happy with the install.
                Last edited by Grauler; 12-21-2018, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Looks good! Glad to see that dash and A-Pillar back together.
                  2001 TJ 4.0, 32Rh auto tranny, Dana 44 Trac-Lok 3.73 rear, Dana 30 Detroit Truetrac 3.73 front, Rancho adjustable lower control arms, 2 inch lift, BFG mud terrain 31/10.50/15 tires

Comment

• Grauler
                    Grauler commented
                    Editing a comment
                    HUGE thanks to 2001TJ for helping me with installing my wife's new bumper on her JL and for all of his help with the CB radio install. I could not have done it without you Jesse. Thank you!

I'll add one to the slightly over-rated category.

Azzy's t-case linkage for the np231.

Lots of people brag on this mechanical linkage, but it's been nothing but a pain in my a$$. Can't seems to find a position to install it that will smoothly run through all of the modes. Maybe it has something to do with the 2low kit I installed, but I'm not impressed with it.
                  2004 TJ ex-X Model :
                  3.5" Rock Krawler Springs, Rock Krawler Adj. Control Arms, Fox 2.0 Shocks, 33x12.50R15 MTRs, TeraFlex High Steer System, TeraFlex 2WD Low Range Kit, TeraFlex Extreme Short SYE, Adam's CV Rear Driveshaft, G2 4.10 Gears, Dana 30 front with G2 Chromoly Shafts & Aussie Locker, Rubicon Dana 44 rear with G2 Chromoly Shafts & Detroit Locker, Durango 160A Alternator, Rugged Ridge Nautic 9500lb Winch with Synthetic Rope

Comment

What do you guys think of the Rock Krawler brand in general? More specifically, I was thinking about upgrading to Front and Rear "Rock Krawler Triple Rate 3.5" Coil Springs" with "Rock Krawler High Clearance Front Adjustable Lower Control Lower Arms". Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                    X