Where is your favorite place to mount your hi lift jack? Pics appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is your favorite place to mount your hi lift jack? Pics appreciated

Who knew there are so many options to mount the jack. I am leaning toward something like the Dominion Offroad kit that will allow the jack to be stored inside and up high which is space I currently don't use. I am also considering mounting it on my front bumper but really like the idea of having it inside to protect it from theft and the elements. Since I am also building an expedition trailer, I would rather not have it mounted on the back. I am of the impression these jacks though a necessity, are not used often? Opinions and pics appreciated.

I don't have a pic but mine is mounted just like the first pic, behind the roll bar. I purchased my brackets from Dominion Off Road. I like it because it keeps it out of the rain and road grime that can cause problems when you need to use your jack but it's been outside for years.
    The ANIMAL Build Thread

2012 JKUR 6 spd Manual; 5.13 gears; 4:1, CRUSH

Pro Comp 17x9 wheels, 37" NITTO Trail Grapplers, EVO Enforcer 4" Lift, 2.5 Spec. King Shocks/Compression Adjusters, 5.13 Gears, RR Aluminum Billet Hood Latches, Truck-Lite LED Headlights, Rigid Dually LEDs, Cobra 75 CB, Wild Boar Roof Rack, Tom Woods 1310 Front Drive shaft

Comment

Debating on where to mount one myself. Thinking about the roof rack, but I have the same concern as AnimalJK about trying to use it after being in the elements for so long. I will say that everyone I know that has mounted it to the hood has hated it. Maybe there is someone who will chime in and say otherwise, but that seems to be the general consensus. Mounts for these things are ridiculously priced, but search around and there are plenty of DIY options.
      2004 TJ :
      3.5" Rock Krawler Springs, Rock Krawler Adj. Control Arms, Fox 2.0 Shocks, 33x12.50R15 MTRs, TeraFlex High Steer System, TeraFlex 2WD Low Range Kit, TeraFlex Extreme Short SYE, Adam's CV Rear Driveshaft, G2 4.10 Gears, Dana 30 front with G2 Chromoly Shafts & Aussie Locker, Rubicon Dana 44 rear with G2 Chromoly Shafts & Detroit Locker, Durango 160A Alternator, Rugged Ridge Nautic 9500lb Winch with Synthetic Rope

Comment

Originally posted by CDE View Post
        Debating on where to mount one myself. Thinking about the roof rack, but I have the same concern as AnimalJK about trying to use it after being in the elements for so long. I will say that everyone I know that has mounted it to the hood has hated it. Maybe there is someone who will chime in and say otherwise, but that seems to be the general consensus. Mounts for these things are ridiculously priced, but search around and there are plenty of DIY options.
        Here is a link to the dominion off road kit. It's basically two brackets with some crazy bends in them for $69.95. They are very solid and easy to install.

The ANIMAL Build Thread

2012 JKUR 6 spd Manual; 5.13 gears; 4:1, CRUSH

Pro Comp 17x9 wheels, 37" NITTO Trail Grapplers, EVO Enforcer 4" Lift, 2.5 Spec. King Shocks/Compression Adjusters, 5.13 Gears, RR Aluminum Billet Hood Latches, Truck-Lite LED Headlights, Rigid Dually LEDs, Cobra 75 CB, Wild Boar Roof Rack, Tom Woods 1310 Front Drive shaft

Comment

• FordGuy
          FordGuy commented
          Editing a comment
          Does is rattle very bad in this location?

I haul mine on the rear tire carrier(AEV). I looked hard at the dominion mount, but decided against it for a few reasons....It interferes with lowering a soft top, and I was worried about the slightest little rattle being amplified in the cab.

My attempt at keeping the jack operable while being kept outside has been simple. First, I don't carry it around everyday, only when off road. I also clean and lube it at every oil change interval, and after every outing. Also keep a can of WD-40 in the Jeep, that is usually enough to get a decently maintained jack working again if it gets covered in gunk.

Comment

under back seat in my XJ. will likely move to tire carrier when I build it
          98 XJ 4.5" lift on 33s. bumper w/ 10K winch, lights
          locked front and rear
          cowl intake, CB and a lot of skinny pedal

Comment

I used to mount mine on the front bumper. The Hi-Lift is a surprisingly resilient tool. I never had any major issues with it being out in the elements all the time, but it did require frequent oiling to ensure it was ready to use when I needed it.

I also try to avoid using it at all costs. It can be extremely dangerous. I've heard of broken jaws and lost teeth, and I've personally experienced my own rig coming off the jack once in an off-camber situation.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?photoid=6111.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.53 MB ID:	7392

Here it is in-use when I broke a leaf spring centering pin. Notice all involved are exhibiting extreme caution while supported by the jack.

Click image for larger version

Name:	p5301085.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	538.3 KB
ID:	7394
            Attached Files
            Last edited by sjlplat; 03-13-2018, 06:57 PM.
            - 1988 XJ Base - I don't actually drive it. It just sits in the driveway while I throw parts at it.

- 1990 XJ Laredo - Old and busted, but it'll get the job done!

- 1994 XJ Base 2-door - Where'd the other doors go?

- 1996 XJ Sport - It's red. What else can I say?

- 1997 XJ Country - My wife wanted something "pretty".

- 1998 XJ Limited - Cheap and leathery.

Comment

Mine is on my Trailor

Comment

• denverd1
                denverd1 commented
                Editing a comment
                hope you don't need it!

Mine is mounted to my OR-Fab tire carrier.

Comment

Just mount it to your roof rack like me, Ronnie!
                2004 Grand Cherokee (WJ), Laredo 4.0
                4.5" Frankenstein Short Arm lift, Rusty ADJ CA's, trussed Waggy 44 Front & 44HD Rear; 315/70:17 Patagonia M/T mounted on Micky Thompson Classic Lock II 17x9

Comment

2004 Grand Cherokee (WJ), Laredo 4.0
                  4.5" Frankenstein Short Arm lift, Rusty ADJ CA's, trussed Waggy 44 Front & 44HD Rear; 315/70:17 Patagonia M/T mounted on Micky Thompson Classic Lock II 17x9

Comment

Actually I have found the PERFECT place to mount my jack- on my friend's jeep!

Comment

learned the big one won't fit under an XJ back seat. moving it to the roof.
                      98 XJ 4.5" lift on 33s. bumper w/ 10K winch, lights
                      locked front and rear
                      cowl intake, CB and a lot of skinny pedal

Comment

Working...
                      X