2013 Jeep Wrangler JK - Possible Wiring Harness Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Jeep Wrangler JK - Possible Wiring Harness Issue

Background: Driving one day when the ABS light and Check Engine lights come on with immediate loss of power happening all at once. Shifting becomes very strange after this. I have to pull over and turn off engine in order to get the ABS light to go off, but the check engine light remains on. Error code is P0345 - Cam Position Sensor Int.

After some research on the net, this seems to be a somewhat common issue with 2013 Wranglers. I guess it is due to being the first year with the 3.6L V6.

I have replaced both cam shaft sensors, but the problem remains. I called Patterson in Tyler and the guy stated that this is a known problem with a short in the main engines wiring harness which is causing the false faulty sensor code.

This is apparently a $3500 wiring harness that needs to be replaced. I have read where replacing the wiring harness did not fix the problem so it sound like I have a 50/50 shot at it working. Can *anyone* confirm this is a legitimate fix for this issue? So far I have not been able to find anything else out there that might be causing this.

Any ideas? Anyone?
    2017 Wrangler JKU Big Bear
    Armor: Smittybilt SRC Gen2 Front Bumper, Barricade Rock Sliders
    Winch: Warn ZEON Platinum 10-S Winch with Spydura Synthetic Rope
    Lift: 2.5" Pro-Comp Lift w/ Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP shocks
    Lighting: Rough Country 3" Wide Angle OSRAM LED Lights, Rough Country 12-inch Cree LED Light Bar (Dual Row | Black Series w/ DRL)
    CB Radio: Cobra 75 WX ST and Firestik FireFly antenna

ADVENTURESOFBEINGYOUNGER Might have some insight or be able to perform the repair for you.
    2004 Grand Cherokee (WJ), Laredo 4.0
    4.5" Frankenstein Short Arm lift, Rusty ADJ CA's, trussed Waggy 44 Front & 44HD Rear; 315/70:17 Patagonia M/T mounted on Micky Thompson Classic Lock II 17x9

Comment

Maybe try the crank position sensor. I had to replace mine after I had similar issues. I think that the code shows up for the cam position because it doesn't match the crank, but there is nothing actually wrong with the cam sensors.

It's cheap and very easy to get to and change.
      Longview

2012 JKUR
      3-1/2" RE Sport lift, flat fenders, and 35's
      RSE Automatic Step Sliders

Comment

• Grauler
        Grauler commented
        Editing a comment
        I will certainly check that out. That seems like a reasonable thing to try. I really appreciate your input.

Hey Grauler shoot me a message I can come check it out for you and give some better guidance than here is a 50/50 shot.

Comment

Originally posted by TKhawk01 View Post
        Maybe try the crank position sensor. I had to replace mine after I had similar issues. I think that the code shows up for the cam position because it doesn't match the crank, but there is nothing actually wrong with the cam sensors.

It's cheap and very easy to get to and change.
        Yep, if the CPS and CKS aren't in-sync, it can throw a code for either sensor.
        - 1988 XJ Base - I don't actually drive it. It just sits in the driveway while I throw parts at it.

- 1990 XJ Laredo - Old and busted, but it'll get the job done!

- 1994 XJ Base 2-door - Where'd the other doors go?

- 1996 XJ Sport - It's red. What else can I say?

- 1997 XJ Country - My wife wanted something "pretty".

- 1998 XJ Limited - Cheap and leathery.

Comment

• Grauler
          Grauler commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the confirmation!

FYI, I also mentioned to the Patterson dude about Star Case S1618000050. He stated he was familiar with this and that it would be obvious if this was the issue because there would be oil seeping out in various places. It makes sense. He also mentioned that the phasers were not the problem because the engine was clean - no signs of gunk. I assume that if you had loose or missing oil galley bolts that it would cause a great deal of gunk build up internally.

Click image for larger version

Name:	STAR_Case_S1618000050.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	12604
        2017 Wrangler JKU Big Bear
        Armor: Smittybilt SRC Gen2 Front Bumper, Barricade Rock Sliders
        Winch: Warn ZEON Platinum 10-S Winch with Spydura Synthetic Rope
        Lift: 2.5" Pro-Comp Lift w/ Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP shocks
        Lighting: Rough Country 3" Wide Angle OSRAM LED Lights, Rough Country 12-inch Cree LED Light Bar (Dual Row | Black Series w/ DRL)
        CB Radio: Cobra 75 WX ST and Firestik FireFly antenna

Comment

Just a few things to consider: The CPS and CKS are intended to identify timing problems. When you get a code for either sensor, it means the signals aren't in-sync. With that considered, the problem can be either electrical or mechanical.

A few possibilities, in no particular order:
          • Bad CPS
          • Bad CKS
          • Electrical short
          • ECM problem
          • Stretched timing chain
          • Skipped timing
          • Bad coil
          • Bad cam
          I have this very same problem with my '06 Ram 4.7L. P0344 code and the truck goes into limp mode.
          After replacing both the CPS and the CKS, I gave up and parked it. I've read that the 4.7L has a known issue in which replacing the CPS and/or CKS requires re-flashing the ECM. I may get that done someday, but it's never been a priority so the truck will sit there 'till I get around to it.
          - 1988 XJ Base - I don't actually drive it. It just sits in the driveway while I throw parts at it.

- 1990 XJ Laredo - Old and busted, but it'll get the job done!

- 1994 XJ Base 2-door - Where'd the other doors go?

- 1996 XJ Sport - It's red. What else can I say?

- 1997 XJ Country - My wife wanted something "pretty".

- 1998 XJ Limited - Cheap and leathery.

Comment

• Grauler
            Grauler commented
            Editing a comment
            That's good stuff to know. Since the original post the Check Engine Light has gone on and off intermittently. It goes on randomly and goes off randomly. It seems electrical. Maybe like a loose wire connection at a sensor? I don't know. I guess we need to do a more in depth "jiggle test" to mark that off the list.

• sjlplat
            sjlplat commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea, it does sound like a short. Do you have an OBD2 scanner that will show real-time data? I'd maybe start from there and see if you can trigger a code or sone abnormal data fluctuations while the scanner is connected to catch it when it happens.

Late to the post but I have been dealing with this intermittently since we got the wife’s 2013 JKU. Ours only happens at high rates of speed over 75. Best solution I have found after replacing all sensors with no changes was to use my obd2 reader from Oreillys. It allows a cam timing reset. After doing this we get clean driving for months at a time. Things to note if your in an automatic you can still manually shift into 5th while in the limp mode.

Comment

Working...
          X