Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New CB Radio Install - Antenna Tuning (SWR)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this link https://www.extremeterrain.com/rugge...718-tj-jk.html
    is on Extreme Terrain for the same part number and it shows 1997 to 2018 Wrangler.
    2001 TJ 4.0, 32Rh auto tranny, Dana 44 Trac-Lok 3.73 rear, Dana 30 Detroit Truetrac 3.73 front, Rancho adjustable lower control arms, 2 inch lift, BFG mud terrain 31/10.50/15 tires

Comment

Great discussion explaining the different options!! Thank you very much!

Comment

Last couple of questions... I’m going with the CB/AM/FM mount. What would be the ideal antenna? Firestik FS or FL? Any other? What about length 3ft? Thanks again!

Comment

On my TJ I use the Firestik Firefly antenna with the Firestik heavy duty stainless steel spring mount. I get great performance out of the antenna. The heavy duty spring is strong enough that the antenna does not flop much at all off road but will let the antenna flex if it hits a tree limb or similar object. I use all of this with a Cobra 75
          WX ST CB radio and am very pleased with it. Hope this helps.
          2001 TJ 4.0, 32Rh auto tranny, Dana 44 Trac-Lok 3.73 rear, Dana 30 Detroit Truetrac 3.73 front, Rancho adjustable lower control arms, 2 inch lift, BFG mud terrain 31/10.50/15 tires

Comment

Here are a couple of photos of my setup.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1071.JPG Views:	0 Size:	510.3 KB ID:	10450Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1072.JPG Views:	0 Size:	705.9 KB ID:	10451

Comment

• Grauler
              Grauler commented
              Editing a comment
              Do you remember looking at my JK and wondering how we would access the antenna from the inside of the fender? You’re going to have to rip off your inner fender liner in order access the backside of the antenna. It’s going to be tight. Anyway, I look forward to hearing how it works out for you. Let us know if you need some help!

One thing I left out is I use the three foot Firestik Firefly antenna. I am not sure if this would be tall enough for the JK or JL. Maybe some of the JK guys will chime in on that.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I’ll go with your same setup. :-)

Comment

Hey @Petersticks, have you started your CB install yet? I am curious how the CB/AM/FM mount worked for your JK? I am thinking about trying that mount for my wife's JL. I was wondering if you ran into any hiccups or had any install advice to offer?
                2017 Wrangler JKU Big Bear
                Armor: Smittybilt SRC Gen2 Front Bumper, Barricade Rock Sliders
                Winch: Warn ZEON Platinum 10-S Winch with Spydura Synthetic Rope
                Lift: 2.5" Pro-Comp Lift w/ Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP shocks
                Lighting: Rough Country 3" Wide Angle OSRAM LED Lights, Rough Country 12-inch Cree LED Light Bar (Dual Row | Black Series w/ DRL)
                CB Radio: Cobra 75 WX ST and Firestik FireFly antenna

Comment

Hi Grauler, I have not installed it yet... I’m considering getting a JLUR soon so I may be installing it in the JL afterall. I’ll keep you posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Petersticks View Post
                    Hi Grauler, I have not installed it yet... I’m considering getting a JLUR soon so I may be installing it in the JL afterall. I’ll keep you posted.
                    I asked Quadratec if that AM/FM/CB kit would work for the JL and they said, "No". I'll be honest, I don't really believe them. The kit mounts to the body using a three bolt pattern. I am going to take the antenna cover off of the JL and see if it has the same three holes and maybe even take measurements between her JL and my JK. If it mounts properly, then I do not see why it would not work. The only other caveat is the AM/FM wiring from the JK radio may be different than from the JL radio. But I still am not sure that would be a show stopper. After I confirm the bolt pattern is the same, I might just order it anyway and see if I can get it to work. I will send it back if it is truly incompatible. Good grief, I wish manufacturers would hurry up and start supporting the JL. It is hard to find stuff for it.
                    2017 Wrangler JKU Big Bear
                    Armor: Smittybilt SRC Gen2 Front Bumper, Barricade Rock Sliders
                    Winch: Warn ZEON Platinum 10-S Winch with Spydura Synthetic Rope
                    Lift: 2.5" Pro-Comp Lift w/ Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP shocks
                    Lighting: Rough Country 3" Wide Angle OSRAM LED Lights, Rough Country 12-inch Cree LED Light Bar (Dual Row | Black Series w/ DRL)
                    CB Radio: Cobra 75 WX ST and Firestik FireFly antenna

Comment

Good luck with the setup for the JL! :-). I just finished installing the antenna with the Cobra 75. Everything is pretty straight forward to do. Youtube videos are always helpful. Things would have been a lot easier had I removed the door on the passenger side. They recommend you install the cb/ fm-am box “splitter” all the way down on the floor where it starts to mee the cabin. That is a difficult spot to reach trying to put together everything with one hand. On top of that I installed new front components speakers with an amplier for the first time. 😅😅😅. I’m almost done with it. Definately a learning experience.

Comment

The JL will have to wait... My wife delivers in the next couple
                        of weeks so I decided to keep the JK for a little longer.

Comment

Working...
                        X