Jeep TJ Upgrades and Add Ons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep TJ Upgrades and Add Ons

Hello, this is Jesse. I just joined the club a month ago. I wanted to start this post to document the upgrades to my 2001 TJ. I bought my TJ from a friend about a year ago. He was not much of a mechanic and it had a few issues. The valve cover gasket was leaking oil so bad that the injector and fuel rail heat shields were soaked and the motor was coated with oil. The motor had a noticeable exhaust leak as well. A good degreasing and a new valve cover gasket fixed the oil leak. The heat shields were unsalvageable so a new set was ordered and installed. I was afraid that the exhaust manifold was cracked but luckily the bolts holding the pipes to the manifold had come loose. That was a quick and cheap fix.

The TJ came with a bowless Rampage soft top that was torn. I bought a hard top that needed work. Someone spray painted the interior with black paint. I paint stripped the interior and spray painted it back white. I replaced all the seals, vents and lift arms. By the way, I still have the three windows for the soft top that are in decent shape if anyone needs them. I will try to post them in the parts section.

I replaced the Dana 35 rear axle with a Dana 44 rear axle with Trac-Lok and 3.73 gears that I found for a good price. The axle came out of a right hand drive TJ. I was not aware of it at the time I bought it but the track bar mounts to the passenger side of the rear axle on a right hand drive. I had to fabricate a new track bar mount on the drivers side. I re geared the Dana 30 front axle to 3.73 gears as well. I plan on doing a disc brake conversion soon.

One of the front lower control arms was bent so I replaced all of the lower control arms with Rancho adjustable control arms. I replaced the shocks with Ranchos as well.

I am currently in the process of installing a new winch. I have a Warn M8000-S. I will try to add some photos.
    2001 TJ 4.0, 32Rh auto tranny, Dana 44 Trac-Lok 3.73 rear, Dana 30 open 3.73 front, Rancho adjustable lower control arms, 2 inch lift, BFG mud terrain 31/10.50/15 tires

2001 TJ 4.0, 32Rh auto tranny, Dana 44 Trac-Lok 3.73 rear, Dana 30 open 3.73 front, Rancho adjustable lower control arms, 2 inch lift, BFG mud terrain 31/10.50/15 tires

Comment

Comment

I ran into some rust on the track bar bushings that required some attention. I just got them cleaned up and painted. I should be ready to install the winch soon.

Comment

Nice work Jesse
          Jeep:1981 CJ-7 383 SBC, Holley Truck Avenger 670 carb, T350 transmission, Dana 300 transfer case twin sticked, AMC 20 rear end with a Detriot, Dana 30 front, H1 Hummer steering box swap, Sams offroad steering brace, on 35's, Custom built rock sliders, White Rhino Fab flat fenders, KOZ offroad rear cage, Mojo Tops shade top

Comment

Great looking winch. I just replaced my old worn out sway bar bushings as well.
            1997 TJ. Mostly Stock with a couple bolt on's!

"My jeep practically drives its self"
            "Just Bump It"

Comment

Just finished mounting the winch after installing the contactor box. I am going to try and finish the wiring this weekend.

Comment

Looking really quite sharp, Jesse!
                2004 Grand Cherokee (WJ), Laredo 4.0
                4.5" Frankenstein Short Arm lift, Rusty ADJ CA's, gusseted and trussed Dana 30 Front & 44HD rear
                285/70/17 DynoPro M/T mounted on 2015 Rubicon wheels and 1.5" spacers
                12K Badlands winch. Roof rack with hi-lift, axe, shovel and onboard water

Comment

Finally got time to do the wiring. I may have gone a little overboard but the old battery terminals were the clamp style. I soldered the connections to the cables similar to the ones on the winch wiring ends. I used shrink wrap to seal the connections. I went with marine style terminals to connect everything to the battery. I ordered a Factor 55 Prolink for the winch rope and it has not arrived so rope install is on hold.

Comment

• WJ_Guy
                    WJ_Guy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, I switched to the marine style as well. They really are quite superior.

• sjlplat
                    sjlplat commented
                    Editing a comment
                    x2 - I did the same in the XJ, but I opted for brass terminals.

looks great. I need to do the same thing to my cables.

"Just Bump It"

Comment

Looking clean man! Love it!

Comment

Prolink finally came in. Rope preloaded. Done! On to the next project.

Comment

looking good

"Just Bump It"

Comment

Working...
                        X